Friday, November 12, 2010

A Brief Update on Mexicana

After I effectively 'buried Alitalia' in a series of Posts, only to be proved wrong, I have been loath to write an obituary on Mexicana. It appears this was a sensible move (I hate apologising) because there is light at the end of the tunnel for Mexico's premier Airline. Like Alitalia the plan involves a massive reduction in Routes, Fleet and Staff. Therefore a successful re-launch will depend on the Unions as much as refinancing. More on this from:
USA Today Travel 11th Nov 2010: Rescue bid: Mexicana may fly again,
Bloomberg Businessweek 10 Nov 2010: Mexicana Unions Get $155 Million Bid to Save Company
Airwise/Reuters 10 Nov 2010: Mexicana Picks Recovery Business Plan

As with Alitalia, I have a sentimental attachment to Mexicana, so I hope the Unions accept the reality of the situation and Mexicana does indeed fly again.

No comments: