Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Dear Prime Minister. About My Pension

The following is a genuine letter (with the senders details removed) which was sent to the Prime Minister on the 15th May 2009. The contents will strike a cord with 1,000's of women, who have reached pensionable age and then discovered that because during their working life they had to take time out to care for members of their family, they are considered to be worth less than an unemployed school leaver:

The Right Honourable Gordon Brown
Dear Prime Minister,

I have worked for 40 years, 11 years full time and 29 years part time, paying full stamp for 11 years and then lower stamp for 29 years. I we
nt part time to enable me to care for my parents who were both in bad health, and in order for me to do this I paid the lower stamp, and continued to work part time in more recent years to look after my sick husband.

Because of the strain of caring almost continually for these years I had to give up work at 6 months over 56.

When my husband retires in September this year I have learnt I will receive a pension of £57.05. This makes me one of the many women in this Country who have paid N.I. contributions some at the higher rate and some at the lower rate, paid taxes, cared for sick relatives, been hardworking and responsible human beings, to find our reward in our retirement is less than Job Seekers allowance. This can be paid to individuals who may have paid none or very few contributions, some who are still living with parents, with no expenses at all. In some cases, I understand, benefit can be paid to individuals who have never contributed. The rules seem a lot stricter for people in my situation, which seems very unfair. Where savings and Council tax are concerned the formula used to calculate entitlement to help, is ridiculous and outdated.

I know I am only one of hundreds and thousands of women who are in my position in this Country today, who are the forgotten, overlooked and undervalued members of society.

I am also very angry when I hear and read in the media about the alleged misuse of M.P.s expenses, and how I am expected to live on my income.

I look forward to receiving you comments.

Yours sincerely.

The Idle Man can do little more than point out that Pensioners are an increasing percentage of the electorate and if this. or any future Government continues to ignore them, then they do so at their peril.

Reply from the Prime Ministers Office
(Scanned and OCRed)
:

10 DOWNING STREET
LONDON MA2AA
www.number10.gov.uk

From the Direct Communications Unit
3 June 2009



Name and Address Removed


Dear xxxxxxxxxx.

The Prime Minister has asked me to thank you for your recent letter and to say that the views that you have expressed have been carefully noted.

Mr Brown would like to reply to you personally, but as you may know, he receives many thousands of letters each week and his many duties mean
that he must ask Government Departments to reply on his behalf. He does appreciate the time that people take to write to him.

The Prime Minister has asked that I pass your letter to the Department for Work and Pensions so that they are aware of your views and may reply to the detailed points raised in your letter.

Yours Sincerely
MRS S.CAINE


Assuming there is a communication from the Department of Work and Pensions it will be posted here:

No comments: