Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Medical Emergency - Good Neighbours/Friends & London Ambulance Service

The Idle Man is on day five of recovering from an extremely frightening medical problem (not being able to breath - I guess this something those with serious asthma, experience with dread). Fortunately due the immediate support of my Neighbours Cato (Catherine) and Phil at the ungodly hour of 02:30 in the morning and the timely arrival and efforts of the London Ambulance team (Peter and a very attractive lady whose name I did not get), I was stabilised and then placed in West Middlesex A&E for the Night.

My processing through A&E revealed that my Heart, Lungs, etc are OK. But I had some nasty Virus infection, which basically has to run its course (which it is still doing) - Paracetamol and rest is the only cure. So actually doing anything useful work wise has stopped. So I have been living (just) up to the Title of being an Idle Man.

But in reviewing events my thoughts have turned to how extremely lucky I am. The sudden onset from having a simple cold to literally feeling I was in the final stage of drowning meant that I was in Boxers and Tee-shirt and was literally in a state of collapse when attempting to dial 999 (911 for non Brits), so my Neighbours hearing my distress were hammering on the windows and just letting them in nearly pushed me over the edge. The prompt arrival of the Ambulance meant, once I was stabilised I was shipped off to Hospital, with NONE of what in normal circumstances I would consider absolutely essential : Trousers, Money, Credit cards, Mobile Phone, Keys, or Emergency Contact Information, plus one one of my slippers fell off on the way to the Ambulance).

By the time I arrived at A&E, I was essentially breathing normally (except through Mouth, as Nose well and truly blocked), so I was processed rather than treated and as A&E was extremely quiet, I actually got some sleep in between EGG, Blood Test, Fluids Drip and I actually felt than a fraud as lying in by cot, I was relaxed. However walking the three steps from the cot to the X-Ray Machine made me realise I was still extremely unwell. Also the medication applied with the oxygen in the Ambulance was starting to wear off. By 06:00 I was ready for discharge with some Paracetamol and then the logistics of my situation hit me and the Staff, NO MONEY, NO KEYS, NO CONTACT Numbers and NO TROUSERS. Fortunately after a lot of humming and hawing I was given some hospital Greens and using directory enquires was able to contact my Neighbour Phil, who drove me home and used keys I had left with him to let me in!

The last few days have made me realise that throughout my life I have been blessed by having more true Friends and Neighbours who have become true Friends, than I deserve (plus some wonderful Cousins who despite my long period of indifference still think I am worth saving :).

Whatever else I have done in life, the good, the not so good and the indifferent, it these people who really matter to me and over the last couple years have proved I matter to them to an extent I can never fully express.

No comments: